Canvas Prints
Fine Art Prints
Metal Prints
Home Decor

We accept all major credit cards

Mary Evans Prints Online

Wall Art and Photo Gifts from Mary Evans Picture Library

1870 / SEDAN SURRENDER

Emperor Napoleon III of France surrenders to Kaiser Wilhelm of Prussia the day after the battle of Sedan, conceding defeat in the Franco-Prussian War Date: 2 September 1870

Mary Evans Picture Library makes available wonderful images created for people to enjoy over the centuries

Media ID 20148313

© Bubblepunk

Defeat Franco Kaiser Napoleon Prussia Prussian Sedan Surrender Surrenders Wilhelm

FEATURES IN THESE COLLECTIONS

> Europe > France > Military

> Historic > Battles > Related Images

> Mary Evans Prints Online > New Images July 2020

EDITORS COMMENTS
September 2, 1870: The Day of Reckoning - The Sedan Surrender This evocative image captures the poignant moment of surrender during the Franco-Prussian War on September 2, 1870. The defeated Emperor Napoleon III of France (1808-1873) is seen in humble submission, bowing before the victorious Kaiser Wilhelm I of Prussia (1797-1888), following the Battle of Sedan. The Battle of Sedan, fought on September 1, 1870, marked a decisive turning point in the Franco-Prussian War. The Prussian forces, led by the brilliant military strategist Helmuth von Moltke (1800-1891), outmaneuvered the French army, resulting in a crushing defeat for the French. The following day, Emperor Napoleon III, who had once boasted of his invincibility, surrendered to Kaiser Wilhelm I, conceding defeat. The surrender took place at the Château de Waldquartier, near Sedan. This momentous event effectively ended the Franco-Prussian War and paved the way for the establishment of the German Empire. The image of Napoleon's surrender is a poignant reminder of the consequences of war and the importance of diplomacy and peace. The Franco-Prussian War, which lasted from July 1870 to January 1871, resulted in significant territorial losses for France and the establishment of a unified German state under Prussian leadership. This print offers a fascinating glimpse into a pivotal moment in European history.

MADE IN THE USA
Safe Shipping with 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

FREE PERSONALISATION*
We are proud to offer a range of customisation features including Personalised Captions, Color Filters and Picture Zoom Tools

SECURE PAYMENTS
We happily accept a wide range of payment options so you can pay for the things you need in the way that is most convenient for you

* Options may vary by product and licensing agreement. Zoomed Pictures can be adjusted in the Cart.

redeem
Beautiful Photo Prints and Gifts
Professionally Printed
inventory
Photo Prints are in stock
thumb_up
Professional quality finish
diamond
Made with high-grade materials
inventory_2
Carefully packed to aid safe arrival

Related Images

French-Prussian War. Surrender of Sedan (2nd
French-Prussian War. Surrender of Sedan (2nd
The last Emperor of Austria and the last monarch of the Habsburg Dynasty. Karl I in Chernivtzi, Ukraine, 6 July 1917
The last Emperor of Austria and the last monarch of the Habsburg Dynasty. Karl I in Chernivtzi, Ukraine, 6 July 1917
ROYAL WEDDING, 1911. The wedding of Archduke Karl Franz Joseph (later Emperor Karl I) of Austria
ROYAL WEDDING, 1911. The wedding of Archduke Karl Franz Joseph (later Emperor Karl I) of Austria
KARL I (1887-1922). Karl (Charles) Francis Joseph, Emperor of Austria, 1916-1918
KARL I (1887-1922). Karl (Charles) Francis Joseph, Emperor of Austria, 1916-1918
Prince Karl Franz Joseph and Prince Leopold of Bavaria
Prince Karl Franz Joseph and Prince Leopold of Bavaria
Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand 1863-1914, 1934
Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand 1863-1914, 1934
WINDOW-SHOPPING 1850S
WINDOW-SHOPPING 1850S

+

Shipping

+

Choices

+

Reviews